One of the first things a small business should do when choosing a phone system is to think about a phone line. The two go hand in hand. Your phone system cannot function without choosing how your phone calls will be transmitted and received.
A phone line needs to give your business:
Flexibility with your phone numbers– High quality calls – Business Continuity– No interference with your growth plans
BT ISDN Switch-off
ISDN Phone Lines are a traditional type of phone line which uses physical lines to transmit voice calls. ISDN Phone lines are slowly being phased out; from September 2023 BT will withdraw the ability to purchase additional ISDN phone lines.
Between April and December 2025, there will be a forced migration period before they switch them off.
This means you can still use ISDN phone lines until September 2023 but since it is out-dated technology, it is worth looking at alternatives, now, especially if you have plans to grow.
What if I already have ISDN Phone Lines in Place?
The key thing is not to panic, you do have until 2023 to purchase any additional lines, so as long as you purchase any phone lines you may need by then, you’d be fine for another few years.
Regardless of when you choose to make a change, it is still a good idea to think about your options are and plan it in, now. The good news is that if you do that now, it is a planned expenditure and not a surprise.
Is it easy to migrate from ISDN to SIP?
With the right provider (us) – yes. You’ll be able to port and retain your numbers over to SIP or a Hosted Phone System. The whole migration generally can take as little as 3 weeks. Downtime is minimal whilst the numbers are migrated across.
Benefits of SIP and SIP Trunking
Any business with a PBX can switch to our SIP trunking service and immediately benefit from more flexible, less expensive, and more resilient phone service.
Our top five benefits for upgrading your phone system to SIP:
- Save Money on call costs and line rental – IP connectivity costs less than ISDN so you’ll benefit from lower call costs; free internal calls between sites and free calls to UK local/national and mobiles. Typically, you are looking for saving of up to 50% on line rental and 25% or more on call costs.
- Flexibility with phone numbers – SIP trunking enables you to reduce the number of PBX’s you need to maintain whilst maintaining your existing phone number(s) regardless if you move office.
- Scalability – SIP Trunks are perfect if you are growing (or even downsizing) and you want to retain your phone numbers. You are always in control because you can add lines, remove lines and split calls at any time.
- High Quality – We can proactively monitor and manage the quality of service across the entire network – it’s the underlying network quality that makes a real difference to SIP trunking. This means that we are able to support both G.729 or G.711 codecs.
- Business Continuity – Should your office need to be temporarily relocated, SIP trunking allows you to take your phone lines with you quickly and cost-effectively.