SIP and SIP trunks is an on-premise or hosted solution for a telephone system in the UK that will use virtual phone lines, created over your internet connection rather than physical wires. Businesses are using SIP Trunks as their preferred method of connection for their phone systems.
SIP is fast becoming the best alternative to ISDN in the UK as in most cases, SIP is the most cost-effective way to upgrade your phone lines. SIP is cheaper on a per-line basis, it offers flexibility and control over your phone numbers and quicker to install.
SIP phone lines can be ordered with as little as 1 channel and can be scaled up (or down) in line with your business’s needs and without the need for physical lines to be installed. Upgrading your phone lines to SIP protects your business against the planned ISDN Switch-off whilst future-proofing your business communications.
At our UK-based business headquarters, we have partnered with Gamma; the UK’s leading SIP trunk provider. They own their own national network which has advanced diagnostics tools that are monitored continuously so any issues are resolved quickly with minimal interruption. In recent years, Gamma has won many major UK Fixed Line Network awards.
What is the difference between SIP and SIP Trunking?
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is the set of rules that allows you to initiate and terminate a communication session, whether it’s a voice call between 2 people or multiple calls between a whole team, using an IP address.
- SIP trunking (also commonly referred to as a SIP Phone Line) is the service that allows you to put this protocol into use on a public network.
How does SIP Trunking work?
The SIP trunk connects your site directly into the Gamma network (the ITSP), via an IP connection which will carry out and terminate your inbound and outbound voice calls across your PBX. Gamma SIP trunks are compatible with all of the leading IP PBX brands available on the UK market.
Our service can support connections ranging from two channels for a small PBX-equipped business to an unlimited number of channels for large businesses or contact centres.
What are the benefits of SIP and SIP Trunking?
Any business with a PBX can switch to our SIP trunking service and immediately benefit from more flexible, less expensive and more resilient phone service.
Our key benefits for upgrading to SIP phone lines:
- Save Money on call costs and line rental – IP connectivity costs less than ISDN so you’ll benefit from lower call costs; free internal calls between sites and free calls to UK local/national and mobiles. Typically, you are looking for saving of up to 50% on line rental and 25% or more on call costs.
- Flexibility with phone numbers – You can easily port your existing numbers across and SIP trunking enables you to reduce the number of PBX’s you need to maintain whilst maintaining your existing phone number(s) regardless if you move office.
- Compatibility – SIP is fully compatible with all modern phone systems.
- Scalability – SIP Trunks are perfect if you are growing (or even downsizing) and you want to retain your phone numbers. You are always in control because you can add phone lines, remove lines and split calls on demand. There are no limits to the number of lines you can use, simultaneously.
- Remote Working – SIP is great for remote working as it provides the ability to integrate home workers with a SIP based phone system
- High Quality – We can proactively monitor and manage the quality of service across the entire network – it’s the underlying network quality that makes a real difference to SIP trunking. This means that we are able to support both G.729 or G.711 codecs.
- Business Continuity – Should your office need to be temporarily relocated, SIP trunking allows you to take your phone lines with you quickly and cost-effectively.
- Easy to Deploy – SIP is fast and easy to deploy and can scaled up and down, on -demand and quickly.
- Future-proof your business – SIP is the best alternative to ISDN but it is also the best option for your phone line so you won’t need to upgrade for many years. It also carries the least amount of fault reports.
Moulton School has seen huge savings in its call costs as a result of switching to BTT phone lines.
Mr Halford explained that prior to updating their systems, Moulton School could expect to see annual call costs of between £12,000 and £15,000. But since signing up to BTT’s solution, this has been slashed in half to between £6,000 and £8,000 – and this is before the operational values added by BTT are considered.Read the full Case Study
Take your SIP Trunks further and use SIP Trunk Call Manager
SIP Trunk Call Manager provides you with all the benefits of SIP Trunks together with feature-rich, centralised call control. This includes our market-leading call bundles and the only fraud management tool that financially indemnifies you against loss.
SIP Trunk Call Manager can benefit your business if you are in need of a solution offering powerful business continuity, the ability to fully manage your entire number estate and all aspect of your inbound calls, directly via your SIP trunks. Consolidate all your numbers onto a single platform and never miss a call!
What are the benefits?
Taking SIP beyond a connectivity service, into a world of feature-rich applications – putting you in control:
- Tailored Business Continuity – never miss a call
- A direct ISDN replacement – save up to 50% on call costs
- An enhanced SIP service – giving you full and direct control of your inbound numbers
- One point of contact for your SIP trunks and call management.